Sunday, March 8, 2009

Are you an Andrew or a Phillip?


I am really struggling in my life to determine the direction I feel God is leading me -- I am not completely satisfied in the job I am in right now, but at the same time, I don't want to leap into another job just because I might make more money.  No.  The next job I get I want it to mean something -- I want to go to work every day knowing that I am furthering God's will not only for my life but for HIS Kingdom.  It's hard to determine what that is - afterall, we all have preconceived ideas of what we want to do and how we want to get there.  But sometimes, like now, we wait and wonder: what is it all for and to what purpose does God wants us to work towards?

This is when faith is so necessary -- so very very necessary.

This week I was reading the Gospel of John and I was struck by a few verses that, I believe, God laid on my heart -- these are not verses that I would normally gravitate towards because on their surface I am not sure how much meaning there is at first glance.  However, God has really been focusing my mind on these verses and to me these verses speak to the very real need for us as Christians to have FAITH in what God has planned for us -- FAITH in his infinite wisdom and timing to reveal His plan for us.

John  6:5-9: "When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?"  He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.

Philip answered him, "Eight months' wages[a] would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!"

Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up, "Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?"

I love that scene - scores of people hungry after a long day and Jesus turning to His group of disciples to ask them what to do -- seeing if they would rely on what they thought to be right... that is to say the tangible things around them: lots of people, no food, no money.  Or, instead, if they would turn to God and put their faith in Him.

Phillip's response is interesting because I think it characterizes how we often react in situations that call for pure faith and confidence in God: "Pft..." he grunts, "Are you kidding me? Jesus, there is no way we can feed these people... not only do we not have any money but all of us put together working night and day still wouldn't have enough cash to feed them.  Good luck bud... we're going to have us a riot because nobody thought to plan ahead!"

Are you like Phillip? Is your first instinct when you are faced with an issue that requires faith - that is a "test" as Jesus knew in His own heart was the case with the 5,000 - to think that all hope is lost and that there is no way out of the problem you are facing?

If you are, can I encourage you to look at the next verse and to take your example from Andrew (v. 8-9):  "Okay wow... there are tons of people out there and I don't have a clue what to do here... That kid over there has a few loaves of bread and some fish... barely enough food for the 12 of us let alone all the rest... but you're the miracle worker Jesus... so work your magic my friend".

Andrew doesn't have the answers either -- like Phillip he has absolutely no clue how to feed the scores of hungry (and likely, grouchy) people.  But he differs from Phillip in that he doesn't try to solve the problem himself -- he doesn't try to mathematically equate how much money they would need in order to feed these folks, instead he presents an option to Christ and asks HIM to solve it.

So let me ask you this: who are you more likely to be in a problem situation? Are you like Phillip, trying to solve your problem with reason but without God? Are you immediately dismayed at the present circumstances and unwilling to look to the ultimate problem solver for help? Or are you like Andrew, unsure of how to solve the problem, but willing to let God take hold of the options in front of you and to use them as HE sees fit for your life?

As tough as it is to do, we need to be more like Andrew and a lot less like Phillip -- we need to put our faith in Christ to use the loaves and fishes in our lives to HIS glory.  We have to have faith that He WILL use them and He WILL multiply them as He sees fit.  Consider your talents, your skills, your passions, your beliefs and your possessions.  When you see ALL these things as God-given, then you can truly begin to allow God to utilize these loaves and fishes to the glory of His Kingdom.

In my job, right now, I'm not completely satisfied.  But I have to trust that God will reveal His plan in His time... and that, like those 5,000 people who ate five loaves and 2 fish, I too will be nourished by the plan He has for me and WILL reveal to me in His time.

How do I know this?

Because to paraphrase what our Pastor said today at church: The God that fed 5,000 people 5,000 years ago, still feeds His people in 2009.

Remember what we know to be true from John 6:6 - Jesus already KNEW what He was going to do... He was testing Phillip to see if he had faith in Him.  If He already knows the outcome for us, isn't it best to just stand back and watch as he multiplies those loaves and fishes?

Resolve to be an Andrew -- I guarantee you, you will have plenty to eat!

1 comment:

  1. I guess it depends on the issue at hand. I like to think I'd always expect the unexpected, but I can be a bit of a wet blanket sometimes. We're working on it.

    ReplyDelete