Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Finding the Real Treasure


Exodus 20:17: "You shall not covet... anything that belongs to your neighbour".
Matthew 6:20: "... but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven".

As I was leafing through a newspaper today I saw a picture of someone I used to go to school with, someone I knew through his work on campus and his reputation.  This person was being featured as a strategist for a political party which I used to work for -- and just seeing his name didn't conjure about an attitude of grace and goodwill.  I didn't see him and think: "Why, isn't that great, he is working as a strategist for this political party! Good for him!! I hope he does well!"  Instead, the thought I had was: "Pft, this guy is a strategist?! What's he ever done in life beyond schmooze? What about me?"

"What about me?" - the fact that I thought that made me cringe... but think it, I did.  It's not the first time I have thought something like that, and it is probably not the last.  Looking at my own life through the measurement of world achievement is not good -- and it is certainly contrary to God.

You see I struggle with always wanting more -- the sin of coveting.  I also struggle with thinking that the world owes me more than it does.  The world owes me nothing.  God owes me even less.  Yet, despite that He continues to provide for me -- in spite of my less than stellar attitude some of the time.  He sacrificed His Son for me.  On a Cross.  And he continues to provide for me today:

Philippians 4:19: "My God will use his wonderful riches in Christ Jesus to give you everything you need".

As I look around me tonight I see the following - a loving, gorgeous and God-centered wife, a beautiful house, two cars, a good job, a family that loves me, friends that surround me, nice furniture, food and good health.  What more do I need? Well today, I wanted fame -- and God must have shook His head in disappointment while I scoffed at someone else's success.

But how often do we all do that to some extent -- measure our own worth by what somebody else is driving, doing or wearing? And how often do we realize -- like the title of the book reminds me -- that regardless of how much we obtain in this world, at the end of our life "It All Goes Back In The Box".  Indeed, it sure does.  And what's ultimately left? Relationships with people.  Our work on behalf of God and His Kingdom.  That's it.  That is what we need to remind ourselves to measure ourselves against -- not some smiling face in a newspaper offering their opinion on politics.  Yet, it's a struggle, isn't it?

I am reminded of the story of the Rich Young Ruler who, when he approached Christ to ask how best he could serve Him, was told by Jesus that if this man wanted to truly serve the Kingdom of God, he had to give up his worldly possessions and follow Christ.  One might think that being asked by the Son of God to follow Him would cause this young man to drop everything for the promise of something more... but, sadly, we see a far different truth unfold... the rejection of Christ and the embracing of the world:

Mark 10:22: "At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth".

The man left sad because he could not bear to part with his money, his fame, his worldly worth. He measured himself by the laws he kept, not by the relationship he needed or required. Obedience was not in his heart -- it couldn't be... because the love of money, of power, of status overpowered everything else.

How sad for him -- and how sad for me if I were to opt instead not to look around at the blessings I enjoy because of HIS hand, and rejoice and be glad!  Here I sit writing this and yet not four days ago I wrote a post thanking God for blessings and I meant it.  Yet, at the first sign of seeing something that was pretty cool on a surface level, I forgot everything else and - for a moment - felt completely dejected.

Sad, isn't it -- but how much better is the lasting promise of treasures in heaven...:

Matthew 6:19-21: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also".

Old habits - as I mentioned yesterday - are hard to break on our own.  Simply put, we can't do it.  But God can.  God can - and will - take this covetous heart from me and turn it into one that is not only grateful for what it has, but which is able to bless others each and every day.  Gold, silver, money and fame are all nice to think of -- we say in passing at the thought of a lottery win that "if I were rich, things would be alright".  Friends, if you have Christ, you've already won the only lottery in this world that really counts... and if you EMBRACE that truth, if you LIVE that promise, if you SHARE that joy, you will reap treasures that will far and away beat anything this world has to offer... and the cherry on top is eternal life with God and His Son Jesus.

For me, this week, I am really going to start praying into Jeremiah 29:11"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".

If you are like me, desiring more, wanting more from life -- don't try and find your answers in the world, in the successes of others, or the false promise of a Lotto 649 win.  Open the Word of the Lord and pray.  Pray without ceasing.  Ask God to reveal to you the plans HE has for your life.  He'll answer and you'll find that what HE has in store for you is ten million times better and more lasting than easy money or fleeting fame.

Let me just add one final thought before I go to bed.

A couple years ago a family friend passed away. I remember thinking to myself that this man had a great life. He had a wonderful family that loved him, a good job, friends and was happy - from the little bit I knew of him - to just be surrounded by those that loved him, and he was a generous, kind man to others. I remember thinking that his life was a measure of having succeeded. If we can go through life enjoying what God has given us by HIS provision and HIS timing, we can truly say that we have succeeded.  That's what I want.  I don't want the constant pull of measuring myself against temporal things - I want heaven to be my yardstick and Christ to be my coach.  I'll jump higher, I'll achieve more and the prize at the end will be infinitely more valuable, lasting and loving than anything here on earth.

So put down that newspaper.  Throw out your lottery tickets.  Stop looking at your neighbour driving by in a Mercedes while you stumble onto the bus.  Embrace what God has given you -- and USE IT TO BLESS HIS KINGDOM.  You'll find yourselves blessed.  Eternally.

Matthew 6:33: "But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well".

No comments:

Post a Comment