Thursday, February 5, 2009

God's Snowplow

I have a lot of trouble driving at night. I find that my eyes don't adjust very well to the dark and that with bright headlights coming at me, I can not focus properly. Subsequently, I often prefer to drive with as much light as possible. Daytime is my preference.

Two weeks ago I was driving home with my wife from Toronto, and in between Belleville and Ottawa (a distance of about 2.5 hours) we got caught in a fairly bad snowstorm. Combined with the fact that it was dark outside, and the swirling snow, driving was perilous. A couple times I contemplated pulling over for the night to avoid the storm.

But a funny thing happened on that drive home -- on two separate and lengthy occasions, we found ourselves caught behind snowplows. Traffic became very slow as the plows in front of us rumbled down the dark highway, clearing snow out of the way and making our path clear. What would normally be a 4.5 hour drive stretched to a 7 hour drive and the snowplows bore a good part of the blame.

I will admit to being slightly irritated by the hassle at some points during the trip, but on more than one occasion I also ended my gripe against the plows by saying "But I guess in a storm, there is no safer place to be then behind the snow plow".

How true is that. In our life's storms, as I talked about yesterday, how often do we truly thank God for being the snowplow in front of us... clearing our way in spite of our haste to get ahead. Making our path straight... forcing us to follow because it is not only the right thing to do, but it will get us to our destination - HIS destination - in safety.

God IS our snowplow. He is sometimes booming and loud (Psalm 29:3, Job 40:9). He is sometimes bright and flashing like the siren atop the plow (Exodus 3). He is sometimes quiet (Psalm 83:1). But He always clears the way -- and like a snowplow, He doesn't leave when the job is half done... He stays until it's complete: Proverbs 3:5-6 says"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight". As humans we are simply not able to plow the path to righteousness and good living on our own.

We certainly aren't capable of finding the true way in our own lives -- that is where God comes in. He works - in all seasons - to clear roads, debris and hurt in our lives so that we can embrace the joy His salvation brings.

It is - and always is - God who leads our way. Sometimes we may not like the pace at which He moves, but we know that is to a greater glory:

Proverbs 4:11: "I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths".

In a society where everything is temporal, where quick fixes and easy answers are too often the norm, and where God is marginalized by a culture intent on "me" versus "He", there is something profoundly reassuring about being able to look ahead and see that bright light atop God's plow -- the light of the Cross of Calvary -- and know that He is ALWAYS there. That no matter how bad the storm gets, God is right there making our paths clear. And that He - unlike so many other things - is lasting. He won't run out of gas. He won't veer off the road. He won't go anywhere. Not as long as you drive that road.

Deuteronomy 31:6: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Romans 8:38: "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord".

No matter how severe the storm, no matter how dirty and messy it looks, keep your eyes focused AHEAD. God is right there, taking on the dirt, pushing away the debris and getting you exactly to where HE wants you to be. Don't pull over. Don't try and alter your route. He is there... whether you see Him or not... and when you stay focused on Him and on the path He is making for you, you'll not only be safe, your mind will be at rest.

Remember the song - and sing it while the God clears your path:

"God will make a way, where there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me. He will be my guide. Hold me closely to His side. With love and strength for each new day, He will make a way. He will make a way".

In this storm I am in, I'm glad that I am right behind the snowplow and I am content to stay behind that plow for as long as the snow swirls and the night lasts.

It's the only sure way to reach His destination.

1 comment:

  1. I once made a long trip behind a snowplow during a storm - from Ottawa to North Bay - on the "killer highway." There was no place I would have felt safer. The great thing about God is that He doesn't just clear a teeny weeny path that we have to navigate - He gives us plenty of room to manouever. Spring is coming my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete